Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Our Renaissance

The Brown's Summer 2010


In late October of 2008 I could feel the transition the economy was sliding into and did my best to brace for the wave its slump would send across the country. My husband, daughter and I returned from a relaxing weekend of fun and frivolity in South Padre Island when we were shot back into reality as my husband read the ticker tape at the bottom of the television screen alerting viewers there was indeed a global financial crisis effecting the markets and great measures were being discussed in the White House for possible solutions. I remember glancing over at my husband and we locked eyes knowing this was a bigger deal than we thought. We were glued to the television searching for any shred of hope channeling through the waves at better outcome then what was being presented. Days passed as we watched the Dow fall taking our spirits along with it. We were seeing the result of the market in our own pocket book. Since both of our jobs heavily rely on a good economy our income dwindled causing uncertainty. We made it through November and were trying to get a grasp for the Holidays when our income came to a halt with Christmas around the corner and a six year old daughter who loves Santa we were in need of a little cheer. We decided to not fall in the credit trap and instead cut things from our budget to save money. Instead of adding to our material possessions for Christmas we decided to give our lifestyle a metamorphosis. We sold unused, unneeded furniture, called the cable company to disconnect services, took our taste for finer foods and replaced with homemade comfort food, no more eating out. I also was fortunate to find a part time job that accommodated my policy to be there for my daughter after school as my husband burned the midnight oil. To be honest, the transition went smoother than I could have ever expected, in fact it felt good to purge the unnecessary items like the flotsam and jetsam they had become in our lives. My daughter has never once complained about missing her favorite shows, she now uses the empty formal living room in the front of our house for a play area. We are entertained by the stories of our lives as we sit at the dinner table talking. The time we used for watching television is spent in the fresh air with friends or on a bike enjoying nature, or reading a book using our imagination to bring it to life. Small sacrifices have birthed new life in my family and proved we have learned when life throws a lemon together with the right mindset we can make lemonade.

Being proactive in the face of hardship has taught us simplicity is a virtue that holds its value through the test of time. A beautiful truth simplicity sowed in us is the pride you feel through minor accomplishments paired with the lessons you can learn about yourself in the context of this world. I decided to forgo my usual nursery spending spree to fill my pots with flowers and use this lesson to plant flowers and herbs from seed with my daughter. She helped me prepare the soil and dig the holes getting her hands messy in the process. She took the packet and dumped the seed in their new home and looked at me questioning if this would really work. We watered and waited, everyday we checked the pots to see if sprouts of new life had taken hold and then the ground cracked open and pushed out as tiny slivers of green started to show themselves. My daughters’ elated expression at realizing her success in growing something useful and beautiful will always be a treasure in my mind. I was going through a growth process as well. The sloughing off of unneeded material wants awakened a sleeping dream I put away for later. I had always been too busy or too tired to even let the dream take root, but signs of the dream began to push through the soil of my mind brought on by the tended ground of discipline and sacrifice. I began writing e-mails to my distant family remembering past times and as if my dream made one last push from darkness to feel the suns’ warmth so it could grow I realized I was writing the book I’ve always wanted to attempt. My inner creativity was re-birthed and has provided me with great satisfaction. I am thankful for the need to downsize; doing so has cleared a path for what really matters, living each day to the fullest and sharing it with the one’s you love.

UPDATE: I wrote this not long after our transition, and we've still been living the same simplistic way (going on 2 years). The economy hasn't changed much and it may even get worse, but I'd like to add a little more on what we've been learning. One of the biggest lessons that has been recurring over and over, daily, monthly and now becoming yearly is this; God has proven to us that He truly is our provider. I need reminding of this fact daily, as a human I still can get nervous, worried and fidgety about how things are going to come to together.  Yet, He still "surprises" me with His Way of doing things and showing me I may not be in control (and never was) and circumstances may not make sense and things may even get really bad but it will all be OK. There is a peace in following and trusting in Him that I am thankful has brought me and my family down a path we really don't want to get off. I'm not saying I have it all figured out or think I have arrived but when you see His hand at work it brings a comfort that can't be duplicated. Paul understood this well. He was shipwrecked, beaten, thrown in jail, was on the move with only the clothes on his back and sandals on his feet at times yet he moved forward not waivering from his God driven purpose. He knew material things, and things done to the flesh were of no spiritual merit and pressed on. He had resolve and determination and the Peace that only God can give and I am grateful for his example.

No comments:

Post a Comment