Friday, November 18, 2011

The Great Museum Experience-Blanton Museum of Art

I went to the Blanton Museum of Art. The piece of art that stood out to me was called, How To Build A Cathedral. It was made of 600,000 pennies, 2,000 cattle bones and 800 communion wafers. The artists’ name was Cildo Meireles.  He is a Brazilian, Contemporary artist born in Rio de Janeiro in 1948. He wants people to interact with his art. I got to touch a handful of the 600,000 pennies. At first, I thought the communion wafers were plywood chips. After I read about the piece it made sense why wafers were used. 
I felt like I was on a cruise ship with sweet tea and lounge chairs and Jazz music playing in the background.

Mission/Missions/How To Build A Cathedral
By Cildo Meireles
Photo by: Chandra Brown

This particular installation is a permanent exhibit at The Blanton in Austin, Texas.

Fun Facts About The Artist:
Cildo Meireles is also known for his political statements through his Coca-Cola Project and re-stamping bank notes with politcally charged messages and inserting these pieces of "propaganda" secretly back into the population. A clever way to voice against the censorship of government and promote free speech. Although these clever antics are not considered art, they are highly sought after by museums.

No comments:

Post a Comment