Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Test Of Love

I've mentioned the good man I've found in my husband in previous posts and said I was going to tell you more about him.  Yesterday was his birthday and we celebrated with a homemade meal. I roasted champagne rosemary chicken, tossed a blackberry vinaigrette salad and served it with warmed french bread and a delicious Zinfandel wine. Alex, our daughter has been interested in baking lately so she helped make a lemon orange glazed pound cake for dessert.
Happy Birthday Champagne Toast!
Photo by: Alex Brown

The day was a constant drizzling rain that kept us indoors and we welcomed the lay low atmosphere. It brought memories of when we first met.

It was 1997 and the Winter brought a nasty blizzard to Colorado. He was living in Westminster and I was about thirty minutes away in Lakewood.  We were at that puppy love stage when all you can do is think about each other all day long and just wish to be together. The blizzard meant we didn't know when we would be together again. I remember a phone call and a loving caution to be careful and two hours later Nathan was at my doorstep. He battled hazardous road conditions and potential personal peril driving his 'Big Red' (as I liked to call it) Landcruiser across the town to be with me. Ahh, those early days of love are grand!

Oh, the ways true love can be tested!

Not only did he battle old man weather to be near his new found love, he also sacrificed dearly in the form of material loss. We were planning and getting ready to cleave to each other, which meant leaving our former abodes behind to make one abode but that meant re-arranging priorities. He owned a beautiful car he dearly loved, I got to drive it around town every now and then and feel like a speed demon. We both loved the exhilarating feel of that lovely piece of machinery but the piston (or 2 I'll have to ask him) cracked and the repair bill was the deciding factor between really making a home or not. He gave up the Porsche to be with me.
Nathan's Baby!
Photo by: Nathan Brown

Over the years, we both have had to sacrifice for each other in some form. Each time, each circumstance, we both feel the pain for each other. I say that is true love. We are willing to give away what means something to us for the sake and benefit of the other.  Give me a moment while I swoon!

I saw a good man over sixteen years ago, and I see a great man today!

Nathan Brown you are IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment