Saturday, August 29, 2015

Feria: Free Day

Today my sweet neighbors reminded me of what wonderful people living in a community can do for each other. They showed up at my door with gift bag in hand and wished me well on my 'free day'.  I pulled the paper tissue from the top of the bag and curiously peered inside. Stacked neatly, next to each other were bottles of beer. The labels cleverly chosen, each one a small portrayal of yours truly. A delicious chocolate brownie accompanied the arrangement with a humorous card that read, "Beer is the Answer" and when you opened it, the catch line said, "Who the hell cares what's the question."

The biggest smile spread across my face. I immediately thought of my neighbors and was thankful for their well thought out gift. I was flooded with amiable warmth thinking of their efforts to tell me they remembered my birthday.

Note: In Ancient Roman culture, Free Days, called Ferias in Latin, are days in which the people (even the slaves) were not obligated to work. These days were usually national holidays set legally by the State. Not so different than what we do now except, I think birthdays are personal holidays and should be implemented by families under the 'free day' idea.

In the celebratory spirit of free days, friendship and beer I'll dot this page with poetry and proverb for your pleasure.


Feria
Free Day

It's your fixed date holiday
and only comes once a year.

So tell your job to hit the bricks,
you're playing hooky, go grab a beer;

put your feet up, relax
and indulge in something fun

declare your own personal holiday
your free day has begun.

Make this standard practice and celebrate to the full,
Your birthday should be enjoyable
and that my friend is no bull!

By: Chandra Brown



Barley Pop

Hot Summer day
cold aluminum can

Pop the top
Lips open wide

Taste buds sing
Quench body drought

By: Chandra Brown

Drinking a Blue Moon and toasting to my sweet neighbor friends.. Thanks for making my free day memorable.



No comments:

Post a Comment