Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Two Score and Ready For More

Last year we celebrated my parents 40th Anniversary in The Caribbean with a family reunion.  Fifteen of us gathered at The Providencial Islands for a memorable, relaxing time. I wanted to surprise them with a long lasting gift to commemorate their marriage. I knew I wanted to use art, something that can be lasting and has depth and meaning but how does one accomplish choosing the subject matter when there are over forty years of inspiration between a couple?

I tried to capture my parents in loving snuggles while at the resort, I even told them to mock kiss as if they were in a romance scene, trying to capture the moment of inspiration. They were not privy to my scheme to have an artist depict their forty years together as a gift, they probably thought I was nuts asking them to hug and snuggle for photo sessions while trying to relax in paradise. 

We returned home and I was at a loss on how to accomplish my goal. The pictures I took were hazy or not framed properly, what was a girl to do? Since the photo part of my gift wasn't coming together I thought I should write something to help those creative juice ideas flow. I asked myself about love, romance, marriage, vows and a thought kept appearing in my head. 'Love has so many faces'. How can I pinpoint Forty years of a couples life? It's impossible. 

I thought, start at the beginning, when they first met. I pulled out my Mom's high school portrait. The one I love so much of her and have showcased on this blog before. I look at her fresh features, her champagne locks tumbling over her shoulder, the effortless beauty she presents. I smile at the confidence in her amber eyes and know this portrait is inspiring. (Funny, later my mom told me she was reluctant to take this photo and just wanted to get it over with.)

I had my sister sneak a picture of my Dad's photo to me because I didn't have one. When she sent it, I knew these were the art pieces waiting to become my gift. My Dad's high school portrait is striking. The All Star American sports King with dashing jaw line jumped off the screen. His eyes cast a promising, strong yet unassuming structure about his face. The strength of his kind demeanor makes your eyes rest on his likeness with a sense of comfort.

After studying these two young love birds, I understood why they would have been attracted to each other and want to spend the rest of their lives figuring out what love means. Their youthful faces in their school year portraits taken about the time they met (my dad was in college) was a beginning. One with hopes, dreams, wants and willingness to navigate whatever life throws in the path together.

Without further ado, the following poem was inspired by their portraits and by their life example I have witnessed as their child. 

Revealing Their Art Gift
Photo by: Chandra Brown

Forty Years

Fix your eyes upon this face
and think of bygone time
of youth,
of beauty,
of grace.

A time when life was ahead of you
full of questions,
of hopes,
of dreams.

Next to you sits a part
with whom betwixt shared forty years
of the experiences,
of the details
of life.

With whom you forged a path
for family,
for friendship,
for love.

A path that speaks
of authenticity,
of wisdom,
of strength.

Fix your eyes upon this face
as time continuously unfolds
and treasure how two parts became one
by promise,
by deed,
by God.

Dedicated to wonderful parents!
Love,
Nathan, Chandra and Alex

The following Graphite Portraits and Time Lapse Video are produced by Artist: Brooke Burnaugh
Her talents have been a great source of Joy for my family. Thank you Brooke!

Then and Now
By: Chandra Brown





No comments:

Post a Comment