Tuesday, September 13, 2016

My Man Gave Me Fresh Cut Flowers

The simple joys in life are found in flowers...

I was standing in the long grocery store check out line which gave me time to observe what others were purchasing. A few men had bouquets of flowers as the main course in their basket. I wondered to what occasions these little bundles were going to be given. I did know whatever the occasion a smile is what they should bring. This little exercise got me wondering about the bouquet.

The typical scene of 'man gives flowers to woman' abounds in novels, film and the not so kind world of the cliche. The bouquet has a universal pull on everyone's psyche. The bouquet can be generalized by calling it a bunch of flowers, it can be used as a relationship opener and rejection diffuser or an apology smoother. The most sought after bouquets are those given in love.

Our human emotions play a big role in the act of giving natural beauty which acts as a voice to our intentions. We owe a lot to these relationship builders God created for our good. So let's take the bouquet back from the grips of banality and habitual monotony and laud what these botanical creatures can really do.
My '18 Year' Bouquet

What My Bouquet 'Said' to Me

1. When my husband came through the door with the wild array in his hands. My heart jumped a little knowing he was one of those men I observed in the grocery store choosing a specific arrangement for the love in his life. He took time out of his day to think of me in a specific way.

2. I looked at the varietal blooms and each one was vibrant with color. The visual beauty was stunning. The textures, shades and hues added a new interest to the same old surroundings.

3. I immediately wanted to touch the soft petals of the Carnation, feel the brain-like structure of the Celosia and gaze long at the purple variation of the Amaranth. With daily chores that bespatter the typical day, the silky contrast was welcomed.

4. The Cockscomb (Celosia) was my favorite, it is suggestive of a highly colored brain. Something I'd like to feel I can lay some claim too. A woman likes to be loved for her brain as well as her body.

5. This floral offering was in no way mundane. I put it on the bedside table and when I awoke this morning something alive and beautiful was staring back at me. As I go about my day's work, I'll occasionally pass it and an appreciative thought towards my husband dances through my mind.

I sure hope that the five things I listed can help those hard working, providing, love mates with a new perspective on the bouquet. They really aren't cliches unless your heart says they are.




A little ditty to Feeling Good! Sing it Nina!
(Analogy, not pantheism or deep ecology intended)

No comments:

Post a Comment