Monday, March 14, 2011

Tend Your Garden - Post #3

"Why try to explain miracles to your kids when you can just have them plant a garden."  ~Robert Brault

If you've read the previous tend your garden posts this video finally tells what we decided to plant and is presented by my daughter Alex. She was enthusiastic about this family  project so I decided to let her introduce this years crop. She helped pick the seeds from our favorite garden shop, The Natural Gardener, and she chose each one according to what our family eats the most of. I'm proud she was attentive to what we all like or maybe it was drilled into her by yours truly. I find myself unintentionally lecturing at almost every dinner how important raw vegetables are for your body so I'm glad some of my words are rubbing off in a good way. 

This style of gardening is a mixed experiment. I took the French compact style gardening and added a Texas flair. I just made the box slighlty bigger and rectangular than the standard French square style. I let my daughter plant what she wanted so she could see how big certain plants get, what they will need, how they grow and if they will grow. Peas will need a support, squash can become huge needing more space. This is definately a learn as you grow garden.  I want to see how she approaches the challenges and I have no doubt she'll come up with solutions and strategies to make it work. 

We already have squirrels trying to plant their own bounty and she came running inside to tell me we need to get a cover for the top of the garden bed. She has put in the effort and wants to see success in the first growth popping through the soil.

Now we must wait.... time, daily attention and care is where our patience resides....



  


No comments:

Post a Comment