Thursday, January 5, 2012

When The Going Get's Tough...

The tough go to their daughter's school and have lunch with her....
The winter break is over and the kids go back to school. Sometimes we are ready and sometimes we wish we could all have just one more day to push the grind away. My husband and I dropped my daughter off at school and she said, "do you have to work today?" before rolling her backpack inside. I shook my head yes, and she replied, "darn, I wanted you to have lunch with me."

I received some not so good news the minute I got home from dropping her off from school but life must go on so I headed to my one job that is out in the boonies only to have the door locked and I wasn't able to enter. So I ran errands and came home early. What a fretful first day back from break. With the morning that just wouldn't work out in my schedule and my thoughts attacking my nerves, a little sanity was just what I needed so I decided to take my daughter up on her offer and go to lunch.

Seeing my daughter, friendly and tall, walking with her lunch sack to find her seat brought a smile out of the brooding mess I was in. She didn't see me sitting on the stairs waiting for her so I snuck up behind her and tapped her shoulder and she beamed a huge smile and in a super excited tone said, "Mom, you came to lunch," then she grabbed me and hugged me in front of at least eight packed tables full of kids.

The cafeteria was louder then women at a hen party, the constant murmuring drowned out the onslaught of hounding questions that just don't have answers. Who knew a cafeteria full of yammering kids would be relaxing? 

The state of limbo is the docket for the day, I feel myself squirming and writhing and wanting to run around with my head cut-off like a chicken but what good would any of that do? I wrote a post in the beginning of my blog escapade called Doing Nothing.  If I get any wiser as I age, I think I better listen and just rest for now. How does one do that without a pill or a distraction especially when human nature tells you to figure it out, manipulate til the cows come home, bang out a miracle or else you'll be labeled a failure? Gratify, gratify, gratify on my terms!

I've got my answer.. BE STILL, GO TO GOD!  PSALMS 46:1-10

I find it interesting (as I always do) that to be still in Hebrew is raphah. It has many meanings but the one that hit me was; to desist. This is what I thought after seeing that meaning: Let God do His work and don't try to meddle so that you can see His handiwork and He can take the Glory.

Jason Jackson made a good point in his article, Be Still and Know that I am God in this quote, "Here is the irony in this term “be still.” While we must take the initiative to fulfill our responsibilities and live our lives, the uncertainties of living in a world of sin and woe will continually challenge us. Personal initiative is no substitute for reliance upon God (cf. James 4:13-17)."

Of course I read James 4:13-17 and immediately knew I better sit on it and submit to God.

(One thing I can say with absolute confidence: I am blessed...remember my New Year's Salutation...God is active in my life and for that I can PRAISE HIM!)

When shaky news finds its way to your door; what do you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment