Sunday, January 29, 2012

His Wondrous Works Still Speak Truth Today: Psalm 104

A while back I wrote a post describing how God eliminated a wrong way of thinking I had. It had to do with this big ball we call the Earth. My misconception was born from incorrect teaching and my failing to research and ask the Holy Spirit for His guidance in the Word. Thank goodness for time and the people that God places in your life because He finally showed me through correct teaching and my own seeking what the truth really was. Talk about freeing and invigorating and walking on cloud nine. Chucking the old and replacing with the new was such a great experience I love to go back and reminisce quite often about this particular lesson with the Lord.
NASA Photo

I notice that once the Lord lays your foundation of faith through letting Him teach you, He likes to build upon it. He did this for me today when I was reading more about His wondrous handiwork in Psalms 104. What a beautiful, poetic passage! The title of the chapter in my Hebrew Greek Key Study Bible is God is the Creator.  The first line starts with "Praise the Lord, O my soul," and mine was soaring as I continued reading the description of our Maker's personal involvement in His creation.

At verse 30  I had to stop and smile because this verse talks about sustainability. A word our culture and the modern, industrial age has embraced. The word is everywhere; ads, marketing, teaching material, documentaries. I see time and again a negative ploy against humans because we are 'destroying the Earth' our carbon footprint is the cause supposedly. I don't spend too much time on the issue because it is an absurd one. Don't get me wrong, I am for stewardship and conservation; humans need to be responsible, no argument there. BUT....let's get down to the nitty gritty of the matter. The earth is eternal and it will stay that way by the grace and plan of God.

Psalm 104:30 states God, the magnificent Creator of the Earth; the great ball we live on and use, is also its Sustainer. "...and You (God) RENEW the face of the earth."

And may the Lord get the glory (verse 31) for it.

The Hebrew word "earth" translated from verse 30 is 'Adamah' and means "ground" "land" and "country". It refers to the soil, agriculture, fruit, produce , region and even the ENTIRE EARTH. ( page 1575 - Lexical Aids to the Old Testament)

The Merriam Webster Definition of the word: Sustain: 1 to provide with nourishment 2 to keep going: prolong 3 to hold up:prop 4 to hold up under: ENDURE 5 to support as true, legal, or valid: prove corroborate.

A Godly perspective of sustainability sure does take a weight off the human race! Knowing God will nourish and prolong the earth through eternity and the fact His previous, present and future actions proved valid and true in His word should make us REJOICE!

Since the last verse in Psalms 104 rightly states my sentiments I'll quote it now, "Praise The Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment