Friday, February 3, 2012

Simple But Profound : Kindness

Sometimes when I work I use my phone and ear buds for listening to music. Eventually the station I like plays too many re-runs or has background static, so I scroll through my other options and today I heard a message on the CNN radio network. I don't keep up with christian radio but every once in a while I'll tune in and when I do a man named Alistair Begg tends to be the one that I really listen to. Not only because I like his British/Scottish accent but because he tends to teach the Gospel without diluting or changing it. In fact, his message was about that topic today; keeping the Word of God pure. He talked about Paul's relationship with Timothy and keeping the legacy of the Gospel alive for future generations. He spoke of apostleship and how we need to take special measures to guard the truth. (2 Timothy)

I immediately thought of our roles as a parents, we are the first torch bearer that either passes the torch on or let it go out. As a parent you are the "priest" of the family and what a huge responsibility that is. I find myself constantly assessing if I am living, teaching the truth of the Gospel. Do I handle the scripture correctly? Am I a living example of Jesus changing me? Do I live what I preach, do I walk the talk?

Alistair talked about the role encouragement takes in the life of the believer. Paul was in prison awaiting execution when he wrote to Timothy. Paul's letter was one of encouragement despite his circumstances. (Paul thought of Timothy as his "son" in Christ)

Then Alistair made a great point, "Mental cleverness may live on in the printed page, eloquence will quickly be forgotten, but genuine kindness will live on in the hearts of men for many a generation."

Then I asked myself, Do I express that simple lesson so easily missed, yet pours out on the pages as you read the Word, do I express kindness? The act of kindness certainly is encouragement. Paul wrote to Titus about doing what is good. Chapter 3, verse 3-8. "And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good."

Knowing truth also requires acting on it; in the correct manner. Titus 1:12, "Say no to ungodliness and worldly passions and live self controlled, upright and godly lives...

I can honestly say I have failed in that simple act (sometimes knowingly and sometimes from neglect). I can write about my favorite words, I can post a flowery lesson on what  God is teaching me but the lasting lesson that binds and lives on is born from the conviction and heart behind it.

My lesson for today was a simple yet deeply profound one. How you handle truth and pass that to others makes a memory; which one are you going to make? A good-kind one that shows the fruit of the Spirit, or one from the flesh that bares nothing.

Please let me know what opportunities God lays in your path to show kindness.

* Click on Alistairs name to hear his message on the Legacy of the Gospel...

Update: Watch out for the social gospel... it is not kindness. It is putting the cart before the horse. The gospel is speaking truth in love even at the cost of offense. True kindness is founded in this not feeling or emotion.

Sadly, Alistair is hanging with the Ecumenical crowd... he won't be sound much longer... 6/14/2019.
:(


  

No comments:

Post a Comment