Saturday, May 9, 2015

Mother's Day

Well, another marketed Holiday is upon us and I am not prepared, per my usual Holiday habit. I really don't like these regulated, consumer oriented, go out and buy things because it's on a calendar celebrations. Although, I will admit, this upcoming one makes me want to milk it a little.  So I will, in the form of a slightly peevish poem (to come later) but first, I want to turn my thoughts from the marketing aspect and focus on the real important stuff, the people and why we celebrate Mother's Day.

Mom, Mother, Mum, Mommy. These are some of the endearments we use to beckon the one with whom we are timelessly attached too our entire lives.  We come up with variations in our endearments that have meaning and depth. I teasingly call my Mom, 'Mudder'. It's a fun story on how we decided to call her by her 'Mom' nickname. It involves family story telling and a piece of a cake but that is another story for another blog post.

The picture posted is of my beautiful Mom, but oh, she is so much more than her apparent good looks. This woman is multi-dimensional and a ton o' fun packed into her 5' 4" frame. There is never a dull moment when in the presence of 'Susie-Q' Debee. Growing up with her always had a laugh or an adventure twist that made for some wonderful memories.

Highschool Graduation Photo: Susie Koch

I dedicate the following true words about Mothers Day to this iconic woman who keeps on her toes, works whirls around the young folk, still brings home the bacon, fries it up too, jumps out of airplanes for the hell of it and whose firecracker wit is all her own. I just have to stop, stare at her picture and the thought spills out of me, "What a WOMAN!" 

Mother's Day

If you have a child, every day is Mother's Day
You don't ever get a break
It is the real, full time job, twenty-four-seven reality
and it's not always a piece of cake.

It takes a strong willed woman
to take the challenge in stride
this job isn't for pansies, the weak or unqualified.

Too many dreamers step up to this role
uneducated about its' requirements
they find themselves enrolled in boot camp
that reorganizes their sentiment.

Every woman should know the truth,
the required self sacrifice
Honest details discussed between
Mother and Daughter should suffice.

If oral history is passed down and
potential Mothers are in the know
when blessing happen in their life
they'll be prepared and ready to go.

It's proven if you work hard and 
apply the lessons you have gleaned
the rewards keep multiplying in ways
you couldn't have dreamed.

The day in May to honor Mom
is great for showing your heart
so pamper, spoil and hug them
it's a good place to start.

Don't forget to tell them that you love them
the other three hundred and sixty- four days
It will only cause Mom to beam with pride
at the sound of her child's praise.

Chandra Brown

OH YA, My Mom's THE WOMAN! 




No comments:

Post a Comment