Thursday, December 24, 2015

The Swaddling Cloth

Christmas Greetings! It's a quiet morning here in Austin, Texas. I am preparing some pecan tassies to deliver to my husband's co-workers later in the day and the air is full of anticipation for tonight's meal and gift opening. (Yes, we open gifts under the tree on the 24th, per family tradition relating to our mixed heritage of Swedes, Germans and Danes).

As you know I love reading the account of Jesus' birth every year. I especially love Luke's detailed account. He states in Chapter 1 Verse 3 how he took extreme care and investigated each detail, handling the text with meaningful and orderly arrangement. Those attention to details tend to accompany someone with the skill set of a physician. Luke was also educated in Greek culture and as the original text indicates wrote the book in the Classical Greek language.

Let me take a side step here and mention something that caught my attention when I was reading an article about Jesus' birth. It stated that the swaddling cloth mentioned in Luke chapter 2, verse 7 and 12 was a foreshadow of the event of Jesus' death and burial. I thought this interesting and decided to research a little more into this claim. There are many events where prophetic events can have two meanings in the Bible. I could see how this could be true but I couldn't take it at face value. I had to see what the Greek word Luke used for 'cloth' was in this passage. Something I think Luke would have done.
The Newborn King By: Waiting For The World

I'm glad I did. The term Luke chose and undoubtedly chose, in my mind, due to his historian's skeptical eye, was 'SPARGANOO'. This word means to CLOTHE in strips of cloth. Burial 'clothes' uses different terms entirely. 'ENTULISSO' and 'SINDON' refer to the wrapping of a body for burial.

Some state that 'Sparganoo' could still lend to the meaning of grave clothes meant for burial. I tend to disagree with this statement due to the fact the custom of wrapping newborns was detailed as a normal part of the birth process in an Old Testament passage referring to the detailed procedure of newborn care including, wrapping a baby in cloths. Ezekiel 16:4. (The Hebrew term for swaddling in this passage is Chothemeth , it is feminine (to close-up, to seal) connotes security. (NOTE: This particular verse is referring to the city of Jerusalem and used to make a point.)

I'm not sure the extent of Luke's experience in his occupation but I would assume he had working knowledge of the customs surrounding child birth.  I also have to take into consideration Luke's pointed effort to make it very clear in the beginning of his historical account that he took great pains to ensure the validity of the writing so Theophilus (to whom he wrote) may know with CERTAINTY the things he was taught.

It was a known custom for NEWBORN babies to be swaddled in cloths in the past and most people practice this in the present.

For instance, Luke used the term 'Entulisso and 'Sindon' when he wrote about Jesus' death and burial in Chapter 23, verse 50. Why wouldn't he have used these terms in Verse 7 and 12?

I love the specific details God gave the shepherds through His Angel. "Do not be afraid, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for ALL people. TODAY in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; He is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."

It says the Shepherd's HURRIED off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger after hearing this news. (In the same day or within a few days of hearing the news, I do know it was within the first 8 days of Jesus birth that the Shepherds found him. Luke 2:21)

When they saw Him, they spread the word concerning what they had been told about this child and all who heard it were amazed.

I just have to take Luke's statement at its' beautiful, simplistic, accurate value. The Savior of the world was wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger.

To God be the Glory this Christmas Season!

Reading For Thought:

Were Jesus' Swaddling Clothes Actually Grave Clothes?

What does it mean that Jesus was wrapped in swaddling clothes?

Interesting: According to Midrash,  the cloths could be a foreshadow of his burial. (Myrrh, a spice is used as an anointing for burial and was given to Jesus at His birth.) I may have missed the deeper meaning. I got the peshat (simple) but not the pesher (deeper) til now. (2-12-18). I'll have to make sure by asking someone educated in this area...











No comments:

Post a Comment