Saturday, April 7, 2012

Easter Delight

Photo By: waferboard

Have you ever had a thought or phrase that gives you pure delight every time it traipses across your mental plane? I have been relishing one particular satiating thought since Friday. I was doing the normal routine at home and the delightful thought flashed across my mind and I just had to stop and smile. I was at work and at the most tedious times the thought jumped in the way and made me stop and smile.

OK, I'll let you in on my personal delight. The fact that Jesus cooked breakfast for His disciples during one of His many appearances after his resurrection just makes me giddy.

I'll give a little background as to why this thought entertains me so.
This year, Easter sprung early on me. I've been busy, distracted and to be honest I was half ready to grab a pre-roasted chicken and boil some potatoes flop it on a plate for our Easter Celebration and call it good. My attitude lately about cooking has been dismal. I just can't seem to muster up any of Julia Child's good vibes about food. Going to the grocery store has been the "do I have to do this yet again" chore. People may think I like cooking but I confess I would live off fresh juiced produce and an occasional turkey sandwich if I could; it's simple.

But, John 21:1-14 saved the Holiday food selection for my family this year. It may seem eccentric but it's true.

After reading this wonderful account of Jesus' third appearance to his disciples my attitude changed. "This Holiday is about celebrating Jesus' death, burial and resurrection,"I thought to myself; "and you are going to do what Jesus did."

Jesus' first appearance was to Mary Magdalene (John 20). His first appearance to the group of disciples was not long after Mary's account when they were fearful of the Jews, who were most likely hostile concerning the dilemma of what happened to the physical body of Jesus that was no longer in the tomb. Jesus' presence was not only reassuring but also one of great importance as he gave them the Holy Spirit and encouraged them in the plan the Father had for them (John 20:19-23). The second appearance was to prove to one skeptical doubting Thomas that He was in fact risen and alive. (John 20:24-30) Verse 30 states, "Jesus performed many other miraculous signs but they are not recorded in this book but these are written that you believe." I thought these accounts must have impressed the disciples greatly in order for John to highlight in his writing.

If these two accounts were important to the disciples (as ALL the non-written ones were as well) then the third appearance of Jesus also made an impression on the group. No doubt the conversation between (and about) Peter and the Lord was memorable (John 21:15-25) but why didn't John just talk about this? Why did he mention Jesus making them breakfast?  Then I thought, "Jesus just fulfilled all the Old Testament prophecies concerning who He is, He died a horrendous death, stormed the gates of hell and conquered death and on the third day he came back triumphant and with a glorious new body. He was encouraging the believers, proving he was ALIVE, Ascending and Descending to Heaven. John 21 is a refreshing account of Jesus' fellowship with His beloved "friends". How do we usually like to have a good time with friends and family? WITH FOOD!!!

Did you just read that the way I hope I explained it? Jesus wanted to spend time with the ones that were close to Him the ones He loved and called friends; a time to relax from the work of catching fish, a time to teach and prepare them for their calling and what better way to do that but by cooking a meal; a great catalyst for enjoying kindred spirits. Peter's reaction to seeing Jesus on the shore just makes me love the guy, he jumped out of the boat with his clothes on (making sure to greet the Lord in the proper etiquette) in order to get there as fast as he could.

The coals were hot and some fish and bread were already cooking when they arrived on shore with their fishing net filled to the brim. They contributed the catch the Lord provided in potluck style and proceeded to fellowship.

Preparing a meal has more to it then technique,planning, preparation or presentation. The act of cooking a Holiday meal says, "Please stay awhile, let's talk, let's reminisces, let's talk about what matters."

Reading John 21 reminded me of the simple truth that eating together creates the bonds for a healthy relationship.

SO

Move over pre-roasted grocery store chicken; you're not worthy, you'll have to wait for another day,  make room for Rosemary/Port infused Rack of Lamb with Home made Au gratin Potatoes, Strawberry Vinaigrette Salad and Warm Rolls that melt the butter.  I'm going to celebrate Jesus' Resurrection with an out of this world, hearty meal made by me and shared with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment