Monday, August 26, 2013

Homeschool- First Day of Fifth Grade

Well, I have a headache....

Yes, I feel like I could just go to bed and sleep and call it a day, BUT it isn't due to home school, I have the bee sting inflicted at our local pool the previous day to thank for that. The sting ensued into a sleepless night with a foot soak at a god-forsaken hour and high doses of Vitamin C to curb the pain. It felt like I rolled my ankle and touching the sheets with my foot was instant pain. I finally hobbled to my bed and managed two hours of decent shut-eye before the big First Day arrived.

With body pain behind me, the first day of home school seems promising. We were able to accomplish the first day's work in a well paced time format. No feeling rushed or lackadaisical or lost with the material. We still have our concerns about certain subjects but over all feel we have a handle and can maneuver through the gamut.

In fact, the day felt so normal, Alex associated the daily events as, "Summer but with Academics". I was happy to hear she was relaxed, to make sure there was no surprise, I gave a little foresight wisdom that the course material will get harder.

Fifth Grade Profile Picture: Growing Up 

We got up and got ready, ate breakfast together and sent Dad off with a, "love you and have a good day." We walked the dog for morning exercise, began our Reading and Writing section with Poetry selections of Henry Wordsworth Longfellow. Read Mark 1 and discussed what was going on in the chapter and took notes on the History book Discoverers and Explorers by Edward Shaw. This book opened up some pathways to my old days of school and helped me remember Prince Henry of Portugal, the Father of exploration who set up a school and launched the likes of Eric the Red.

We refreshed in Science what invertebrates and vertebrate animal classifications were about and discussed how a nervous system applies to the lesson. It was great to learn a new word, notochord; the rod of cartilage that supports your spinal chord and helps protect vertebrates nerves.

We even did a small music refresher and read a bit on woodwind instruments. I learned the piccolo is is considered by many to be the most difficult wind instrument to play.

She also was able to get a few minutes drum practice in before heading to her Math Class. (Not to mention, a run to the grocery store)

As we were at the computer, reading, talking, hanging out and giggling, Alex came up with these pros herself for homeschooling.


PROS
1) I can ask a question right away
2) I feel comfortable at home
3) I can snack whenever I am hungry
4) I can call my teacher (Mom) a wacko and she won't get mad
5) I can get my work done in about 4 hours compared to 7 hours
6) I don't really have any homework


Fifth Grade Home School Year Book: A Fresh Beginning

Mom's Pro List
1) I can be the teacher and class-clown
2) I can oversee what is being taught
3) I get to hang-out with a pretty cool person all day
4) Homeschooling lines up with my life motto: Simplicity 
5) No agenda but learning 
6) Opportunities are endless

A con we both worry about is making friends. It can feel a little lonely out here in home school land. I think we'll be fine though, pro-active people usually take a con and turn it around in their favor. 

The journey continues....
Stay tuned as we explore, discover and make new trails. We may run into a few bumps and bruises along the way but that's all part of the adventure....right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment