Tuesday, October 11, 2011

An Education in Education- Part 1

Do you ever feel like your life is built upon some big cogwheel factory that keeps a routine for your many responsibilities so they can be made more manageable? It’s kind of a rhetorical question, of course humans are like that; we go out of the way to find the easier way especially when it means the possibility of less stress. It is evident in our culture through the onslaught of advertising. Staples slogan comes to mind with their “That Was Easy” button or the, “Do It Your Way” motto regurgitated by countless companies to gain business. Technology is another example with the myriad of options to get boundless information at the touch of your finger. These are not bad things in a general sense; there are times we need a quick fix and the amazing innovations out there have gone as far as to save lives but I want to focus on one particular aspect of this Rube Goldberg scenario we participate in by either voluntarily or rote pattern. In this great system of society and culture, the norm to follow certain standards can cause individuals as well as generations to become lax or in other terms, to fall asleep at the wheel. We make decisions based on many factors; family influence, personal choice, limited options but how much thought and research do we really put into these daily activities that make our lives function and does it matter?


Surely it is time to examine into the meaning of words and the nature of things, and to arrive at simple facts, not received upon the dictum of learned authorities, but upon attentive personal observation of what is passing around us.” Francis Wright. Her political and social activism are the opposite of what I believe in yet her words when applied to the subject I am going to try to lay out, make the point that if we don’t pay attention to what is happening around us, we are made into ‘useful idiots’.  

I recently had an experience that has called for searching out words and the nature in which they are used; the first catalyst in putting together facts was parental instinct. I also believe the Holy Spirit was directing, leading and teaching me so I could make the right decision. With all that said, I’ll get to the story and see if I can piece the facts together so any parent or grandparent who truly cares about children and the future of America may have some useful tools through articles, books and videos that I find have a strong correlation to my own experience.

It is not a new thing to hear half hearted phrases of complaint against America’s public school system. It seems the masses know it is, ‘screwed up’ yet the ball of disaster just keeps rolling and getting worse. I found myself entangled in that ball and for the past three years of sending my daughter to an ‘exemplary’ public school system, I just rolled along with the flow and dealt with the idiosyncrasies as they came. No system is perfect and I know my responsibility as a parent is to oversee the education of my child and I thought I could supplement and adjust accordingly.

My ears perked up when a ‘new’ program at my daughter’s school was pitched. I was cautious yet excited that this may be a way off the ball and finally someone was trying something good and new to make sure this generation was going to succeed. The principle stated, “This is not for everybody” when talking to the parents at a screening meeting and “this is a dream come true for me and I wish other teachers would try this” as a confidence booster for putting trust in the 'new' system. It was sold as a cohort style, multi-age, strength based system where it would fit the child’s ever changing needs.  I signed my daughter up and immediately started key word searches under the title of the program hoping to find some information to help me understand what to expect. I didn’t come up with much but what I did find seemed harmless. Parents chatted and wondered about the ‘cutting edge’ system as they were told to not e-mail or phone the teachers involved as they were working hard to prepare for the new school year. I was a little leery of that but shrugged it off as a respectful thing to do. I asked people I knew; teachers, parents, friends, family if they new about this system, had it been tried in their schools? I got a fifty-fifty response on the issue. Some had experienced this sort of thing and felt it was no good, some had no opinion as they did not know about it and others loved it. I got a mixed bag, so I let things progress thinking I did a pretty good job investigating. I was wrong.
 
I prepared my daughter for the first day of her third grade year in a new program. I told her things may be a little different but you’ll adjust. The perk of it all was she had her previous grade teacher. I really wasn’t worried as my daughter is highly social and assimilates to new situations with ease. The first week of any school is getting to know the student and beginning to go over old material as a refresher but there were minor clues things were not right. I asked her every day at the end of school what she thought of the new program and what she was learning. I was met with silence and a look in her eye that seemed a little confused. I figured it is a new program, sometimes kids can be overwhelmed and not know what to say, we’ll have to give it time. Yet, that was not like my daughter. She always was ready to answer my questions and tell me at least one thing she learned or liked about every day, it was our habit to chat about school in the car ride home or before bedtime. The end of the first week approached and she seemed more nervous and still wasn’t able to tell me anything except she didn’t like being shuffled around to different rooms because she was just getting into her assignment and felt like she couldn’t finish or focus on the material. Again, it was a new program and time is needed to adjust, so I told her I would chat with the teacher and see if I could help in any way. That seemed to put her at ease and I sent off the e-mail to the teacher. The teacher was nice about handling things and asked that she have a one on one chat with my daughter to smooth things out. I asked her how the chat went and she said it went well and felt a little better. My instinct said to not dismiss this yet. During the day, I checked out the blog the teachers put up for parents to show assignments the class was doing. I was a little unnerved at one technology assignment.The question that pricked my instinct more was regarding what your parent’s rules were about going on the computer at home. I knew this was a cohort but why was this question on an assignment? Then my daughter told me about a section they were discussing that had to do with perspective and paradigm change. My hair stood up on the back of my neck, the subject matter the class was discussing was harmless but when an institution is talking about paradigm change one must pay attention, as this can lead down many paths. I listened with a silence of my own, knowing something just wasn’t right. Little red flags were beginning to cause my intestines to wrench. I still couldn’t pinpoint the why but I was alert. My daughter just didn’t seem her whole self so I asked the teacher to let me observe the classroom as I might be able to help my daughter with the transition if I knew how the structure worked and could reinforce support as needed. I was deterred with these rebuttals; my request was given in too short of notice and it is so early in the semester you might upset students with your presence. I was not pleased to see a parent wasn’t wanted in the classroom and one that is known to not cause undue stress as I was active in this teacher’s classroom the previous year. I was patient and understanding but I wasn’t going to let this go. I decided to go back to researching deeper into things. I punched in ‘behavior in education’ by the prompting of the Holy Spirit, no doubt, on a website I trust and a 20 minute video made my jaw drop, my heart rush and my fingers fly on the keyboard sending an e-mail to withdraw my daughter from the program immediately; and not until I pressed the send button did my nerve racked gut calm down. Now I understood why my daughter was not herself. The video described the program my daughter was in in eerily similar terms, as well as the philosophy behind it; and it had a name and a history rap sheet a mile long, not to mention failure with a capitol F.

After I told my daughter the news, her countenance changed, you could see relaxation flood back into her frame. She then told me a few more tidbits of information. She said, “Mom, I didn’t like the test where they asked if I like studying in a dark or light lit room.” Why wasn't this assignment posted on the blog for parents to see? She also mentioned feeling confused much of the time and my daughter is precocious in nature not just by my estimation but by many that meet her, not one to be confused easily. She said, "I felt I was back in Kindergarten." She never looked back on her last day in that program and was excited to leave.

Now, one could argue that this program just wasn’t meant for her, you read too much into things and you did what is right for you but why tell others to stay away from this system?  Believe me, I was grateful we dodged a bullet and was glad to be back on the ‘normal’ curriculum (which has hints of this system in it too), but I have never felt so compelled to warn people. The further I dig the more I see this system is one of abuse on many levels and variations of it exist not only in public schools but in some private ones as well. If one parent steps up to the responsibility of properly overseeing their child’s education, I am glad to have had my experience and the detailed research of others available to them.

I asked a question in the beginning of this paper, does it matter?

If your principles, values, privacy, family structure and freedom matter to you then please read more about why Outcome Based Education is designed to challenge and change those core beliefs at the destructive cost of the individual.  




2 comments:

  1. The video is very helpful in understanding OBE. Thanks for researching and writing about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome, and thank you for taking the time to read it. We need more parents involved and awake to what is going on in what is widely considered a safe environment (public schools). We can't use them as babysitters anymore. I see it as a huge fundraising machine that is pretty successful on the monetary end but devestating in the end result. What did Clara Barton do when she came into a town where there was no school? She did a little fundraising of her own and sometimes with her own money she began to teach academics to children. Their self-esteem soared because they had the tools to finally get themselves out of poverty. All this happened with little to no budget. (In the time of America's Civil War) Good feeling come with the knowledge one can accomplish something through hard work, not through a pansy-ass system that essentially says "I'm OK, your OK" and everything has to be FUN. Learning can make your brain hurt sometimes..LOL..mine sure did figuring all this crap about OBE out. And it has been worth every struggle to know the truth. Chandra

    ReplyDelete