Monday, October 31, 2011

Walking the Tightrope

I am finding lately, I seem to relate more and more to some of the Old Testament figures, especially the ones who were living to witness their nations decline and/or exile. (I am by no means saying I am like them but that I can empathize.) I see America headed toward the landfill and there are so many ripple effects of this decline that I often wonder how these men of old lived through watching such a sad state of affairs. Reliance on God certainly was no doubt a survival tip and their laments don't go unnoticed as an outlet for their emotions.

Sometime I wonder how "they got a grip" as they saw their people reject, ignore and downright rebel against God. There have been times I get downright angry and depressed and want to shout at the top of my lungs at the path of absurdity our society has embraced. (and I do sometimes as I rant to the world wide web) I sometimes wonder about how small of a margin one has when trying to follow God's will in such situations. It can be tough to balance emotions and be Christlike. He makes you filter things through Him to make sure you are acting instead of reacting.

I have been finding a little release in Nehemiah lately. I think if I happened to live in his time we would have made fast friends. He wrote his own account of what he was called to accomplish. He had an uphill struggle if there was one! Here's a quick overview; he was in charge of re-building Jerusalem's wall while defending it at the same time, enemies slandered his name to stop his work, he went head to head legally for the usury of the people who were sacrificing to make the project work. He administered the affairs for proper teaching of  God's ways only to go away and have the people slip back into their old wayward ways. Pretty frustrating wouldn't you say?

I can relate to his grief for his people...1:4 'Now it came about when I heard these words I sat down and wept and mourned for days...." I surely feel like weeping and mourning for the state of American affairs..

He points out the problem for exile and the distress and reproach of the people as sin and repents. 1:7 "We have acted very corruptly against Thee and have not kept the commandments, nor the statutes, nor the ordinances which Thou did command thy servant Moses." I certainly have sinned and there is no doubt America has done these same things too.

He makes a stand ("he makes a severe, uncompromising position against foreign marriages that steps on the toes of the high priest, his son married the daughter of Sanballat) and he suffers for it as he tries to go forward in building the wall, an idea he attributes to God putting in his mind (1:12). Sanballat along with a very large chip on his shoulder brings some friends to taunt Nehemiah (2:19-20, 4:1,3,7,8,11)

Not only did he have to worry about builder's working double time, he had to rally these workers to think militarily in order to defend what they were building (4:13-23).
To make matters worse the people were being used and taken to the cleaners by scoundrels. So Nehemiah had to intervene and clean out the rabble. (5:1-19)
Of course, the enemy doesn't rest and Sanballat kept up his vigil to railroad the rebuilding of the wall by getting his cronies to sign a 'petition' stating false information (6:8)
Nehemiah new his enemies tactics and I love his moxy, 6:11 "But I said, why should a man like me flee? And could one such as I go into the temple to save his life? I will not go in."

He overcomes the first hurdle and the wall is built, the people rejoice and the Laws are read by Ezra the scribe, bringing a refreshed knowledge of God's ways and repentance of the people. (6:15, 7,8,9). This causes the people to be re-dedicated to the Lord and the priesthood is re-established to help uphold the way's of God so the people won't slip back into bondage. I could only hope for this to happen in America.

The people had some trouble keeping to the laws and Nehemiah found himself doing a lot of correcting (13:8,11,17,21,23)

Now I have to point this part out as I relish it, although I probably shouldn't and I find much satisfaction that Nehemiah was a normal human being with emotions that may have got the best of him. He had just had it, he was boiling over and just wasn't having anymore, enough was enough! It goes back to the same issue he dealt with regarding the shunning of intermarriage and Sanballat (13:28). He visited Jerusalem and noticed the intermarrying going on and that the children couldn't speak the language of Judah, so he got physical. If you don't chuckle just a bit at the imagery of his actions then where is your sense of humor? He contended with them and cursed them and struck some of them and pulled out their hair and made them swear by God to not intermarry anymore (my own wording for the last part) 13:25.

I'm sure some of those younger than Nehemiah that didn't grow up through the wall building probably thought, "What is this old geezer doing beating up the young folk. Old age must make you lose your patience."

I also love how he asks God to remember him and to have compassion on him for all he does, and it almost seems like he is talking to God as a close friend does. Kind of like, "These youngens are just so hard-headed, won't they ever learn? Even after I teach them and do all the stuff I do for them, please let there be a reward for me in heaven to make all this worth it." BIG SIGH!  (My perspective)

I dedicate this post to two of the most wonderful teachers in my life Ken Brown and John Debee. They are well-seasoned pros and know truth and have the strength to stand for the purity of God's Word. If I didn't have these straight as arrow compasses to learn from I fear I would end up like those clueless people in exile...There is a right way and a wrong way and upholding the right takes courage, will power, strength and walking a tightrope at the guidance of the Almighty!

Note: Clarification, the intermarriage aspects Nehemiah was so angry at was over the pagan ideologies entering into families because of the entangling of cultures. The Israelites were losing their language. It wasn't over skin color as most Western minded churches like to believe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment